Boundaries of Gastrinoma Triangle
It is an imaginary triangle formed by 3 points in upper abdomen:
- Apex: Cystic duct-CBD junction
- Inferior point: 2nd part duodenum-3rd part duodenum junction
- Left lateral point: Pancreatic neck-body junction
This area is located to the right of Superior Mesenteric Artery (SMA) i.e. Proximal duodenum and head of pancreas.
Importance of Gastrinoma Triangle
1. Tumor localization: 60-90% gastrinomas arise within the Gastrinoma triangle. Gastrinoma is more common in duodenum than in pancreas.
2. Hepatic metastases: Gastrinomas that arise from the tail of pancreas have higher rate of hepatic metastases compared to that which arises in gastrinoma triangle.