Table of Contents
History of scientific medical journal publication in Nepal
In 2013, Journal of Nepal Medical Association (JNMA) celebrated golden jubilee. Founder Chief Editor of JNMA, Dr. Mrigendra Raj Pandey wrote, “My article was published in Indian Heart Journal way back in 1957 and became the first, which inspired me further and ultimately gave birth to JNMA in 1963”.1 JNMA is the first and oldest medical journal in Nepal published since 1963. In subsequent years, Journal of Institute of Medicine (JIOM) and Journal of Nepal Paediatrics Society (JNEPAS) began publishing. In September 1998, NDA began publishing Journal of Nepal Dental Association (JNDA) during its first dental conference.
Pubmed Indexed Medical Journals of Nepal
Over the years, many other popular indexation services have developed. These include MedLine, PubMed, EMBASE, SCOPUS, EBSCO Publishing’s Electronic Databases, SCIRUS among others. “PubMed” is just the website, and indexing is actually from the “Medline.” 2
As of June 2, 2020: 3
- JNMA (Journal of Nepal Medical Association) – JrID 29896
- KUMJ (Kathmandu University Medical Journal) – JrID 32360
- JNHRC (Journal of Nepal Health Research Council) – JrID 37846
- NEPJOPH (Nepalese Journal of Ophthalmology) – JrID 38557
- JIOM (Journal of the Institute of Medicine) – JrID 28148
- Selected citations only – population demographics/reproductive health are only indexed
NMCJ (Journal of Nepal Medical College) – JrID 31715 is not currently indexed in Pubmed/Medline.
NJE (Nepal Journal of Epidemiology) – JrID 42241 is not currently indexed in Pubmed/Medline.
The list is subject to change with time.
NepJOL (Nepal Journals Online) is a database of journals published in Nepal, covering the multidisciplinary subjects including biomedical sciences. NepJOL provides information on each participating journal, including aims and scope, contact details and general information. It also provides tables of contents and abstracts (where available) for all articles published within these journals. 4
In 2019, with the collaboration of NHRC and NMA, Nepal MEDLINE (Medical Literature Analysis and Retrieval System Online) named as NepMed was established. NepMed is a PubMed inspired database of Nepalese biomedical journals.
SCImago Journal Ranks (SJR), 2020
Journal ranking is widely used in academic circles in the evaluation of an academic journal’s impact and quality. SCImago Journal Rank is developed by SCImago from the widely known algorithm Google PageRank. This indicator shows the visibility of the journals contained in the Scopus database from 1996. It takes into account for both the number of citations received by a journal and the importance or prestige of the journals where such citations come from. 5
- Journal of Nepal Health Research Council (SJR 0.253)
- Nepal Journal of Epidemiology (SJR 0.207)
- Nepalese Journal of Ophthalmology (SJR 0.199)
- Kathmandu University Medical Journal (SJR 0.174)
- Nepal Medical College Journal (SJR 0.171)
- Journal of Nepal Medical Association (SJR 0.128)
- Impact factor 0.212 in 2018 report.
- Journal of Nepal Pediatric Society (SJR 0.119)
The Impact Factor and SJR are two common measurements ranking journal quality. Both measures look at the number of citations the journal has received. Read the differences between Impact factor and SJR.
To acquire comprehensive idea about the status of scientific medical publications in Nepal, read the review here.
He is the section editor of Orthopedics in Epomedicine. He searches for and share simpler ways to make complicated medical topics simple. He also loves writing poetry, listening and playing music.