- Intrinsic – 9 (IN for nINe); also 2 (Roman numeral II – I for Intrinsic)
- Extrinsic – 8 (E for Eight); also 10 (Roman numeral X – X for eXtrinsic)
Executioner caspases: 3 and 7
- Executioner is synonymous to hangman.
- Remember the gallow – it resembles “7“.
- Executioner starts with “E” – reverse of E is 3 (most important).
Mnemonic: “B” followed by a vowel
Exception: BCL-XS is pro-apoptotic.
- Cytochrome C
- Diablo/Smac (Inhibits inhibitor of apoptosis)
- Endonuclease G
Mnemonic: Contains “L” or “XL”
Other: Inhibitor of Apoptosis (XIAP)
How all these genes and molecules work together to complete apoptosis? Find it here.