While there are about 19 medical colleges currently running in Nepal and few more waiting for approval, there is no official body to rank them scientifically based on academic or other criterion.
The Webometrics Ranking of World Universities is produced by Cybermetrics Lab (CCHS), a unit of the(CSIC), the main public research body in Spain. It offers ranking according to their web presence (an assessment of the scholarly contents, visibility and impact of universities on the web). As per Webometrics in July 2017, the rankings of the medical colleges of Nepal are:
- BP Koirala Institute of Health Sciences (BPKIHS)
- Nepal Medical College and Teaching Hospital (NMCTH)
- Nepalgunj Medical College (NGMC)
- Institute of Medicine (IOM)
- Manipal College of Medical Sciences (MCoMS)
- Kathmandu Medical College (KMC)
- College of Medical Sciences (CMS)
- National Medical College (NMC Birgunj)
- KIST Medical College (KISTMCTH)
However, the web performance of an institution may be below the expected position according to their academic excellence especially in context of Nepal which is lagging far beyond in technological advancement.
Other organizations have tried to rank medical colleges. Medchrome has published a list of top 10 medical colleges in Nepal based on their small survey taking into account various factors including patient flow, infrastructure, student’s preference, etc.